How I learned to stop worrying and love the rain

For the rest of the afternoon at Rainbow Stream, it rained.  It rained and it rained and it rained.  Then it rained some more.  I’m the first person to admit that my tent is pretty heavy; it’s really too heavy for a solo thru-hike, but in that dreary constant rain, it was a luxurious dry PALACE and I loved it.  I knew I wasn’t going to love it when it came time to pack it up (packing up a wet tent — especially if it’s still raining — is just about the most unpleasant hiking task there is, second only to setting up in the rain), but for the time being, I was dry and comfortable and almost downright cozy as I listened to the rain beat down incessantly.

For those of you wondering why I just didn’t stay in the lean-to, where I would [presumably] have stayed just as dry and wouldn’t have had to worry about packing up a wet tent the next day, I can only tell you that the idea of sleeping in a lean-to is pretty unappealing, even in a steady rain.  (Had it actually been storming — you know, with wind and lightning and scary booming sounds — well, that would have been different.)  There are about 250 shelters like this along the trail; they are typically 10 or 12 miles apart, and most are simple, 3-sided structures that will hold anywhere from six to ten hikers (although there are a few that boast some fancier construction or nifty features like solar showers and pizza delivery.)  They also usually hold anywhere from six to ten million mice.  Now, I don’t have a problem with mice; I’ll even say that I think they’re cute.  But I don’t think they’re cute when they are rooting through my pack, making nests in my shoes, or running over my face all night long.  Also, the idea of trying to sleep in a shelter while crammed like a sardine with a bunch of other wet, smelly hikers doesn’t sound like a good idea at all — and probably less so for them than for me: I toss and turn like meat on a spit all night long, and usually and have to get up to pee at least 3 times.  I’m quite sure I’d be the first person ever voted out of a shelter and cast off into the dark.  So while I deeply admire the work it takes to build and maintain these shelters (and the privys usually located nearby), and I appreciate having a dry place to sit for a while, I much prefer to sleep in my tent.

 (As it was, I did have one little terrorist-mouse climb up underneath the rain-fly of my tent and scamper up the the wall of my tent.  He would have eaten a hole through my tent and set up house in no time had I not kicked him off and yelled some un-ladylike things at him….  Little bastard.)

There was of course no cell phone reception.  I was many miles off my intended pace, had no idea when I’d make it to Monson, and no way to let Chelle or Jessica know how far behind schedule I was or that I was safe.   A couple of days earlier, that inability to communicate with them left me feeling frustrated and a little agitated — which was all the more frustrating and agitating because I had fully expected to not be able to communicate.  But now I was more at ease and relaxed about it.  After all, there wasn’t much I could do about it, and each day had plenty enough other challenges to keep me busy.  The rain was a drag, but I was grateful for a dry tent, a dry sleeping bag, and a JetBoil stove that could serve up a hot cup of tea in a flash! There are few joys in this world like getting into warm dry clothes and sipping tea while listening to the rain outside your tent.

Late in the afternoon I heard some voices yelling over the sound of the rain and the rush of the stream; it was clearly a couple of young women who were clearly having the same anxiety crossing the log bridge as I’d had.  I poked my head out of the tent to see if they were okay, hoping like hell they hadn’t fallen off and weren’t being swept to their death downstream.  The wide and relatively shallow stream narrows quickly and tumbles down a beautiful and deep gorge a few hundred yards from the shelter; it’s probably a great swimming hole most of the time, but on a day like this it would only be certain death and feeling crippled as I was there would be no way I’d be able to help anyone.  (Okay, I don’t think it was really all that dangerous, but the constant roar of the water sure made it sound dramatic.)  The water was even higher than when I crossed, and was lapping across the top of the logs; I’m not sure I would have even attempted to cross it now, to be honest.  But then, what else are you gonna do?  There certainly isn’t any other safe place to cross, and there really isn’t anywhere on the other side to pitch a tent because it is so densely wooded and rocky.  I watched the girls as they inched their way across, happy to see them make it safely.  They looked up the hill, saw me, and waved happily before they retreated into the shelter.

I figured I’d wait for the rain to let up and then I’d go down to the shelter to be sociable and eat some dinner, but the rain just seemed to get heavier.  I heard one of the girls trudge up the hill looking for the privy,  and then listened helplessly as she quite obviously slipped and fell on her way back down to the shelter.  I decided to sit tight and just eat in my tent — little bastard mice be damned.







One thought on “How I learned to stop worrying and love the rain”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s